Tuesday, April 22, 2014

April Author Spotlight Interview with Amos Cassidy




Alrighty everyone… Now that we have seen some basics about Amos Cassidy, and gotten to know a little more about an amazing book by them…. How about a little interview to get  some insight into the authors hmm?


I think yes!



Most of my favorite authors are indie or self-pubbed, what made you decide to go that route?

Amos and Cassidy: We like the freedom of being able to tell a story the way we want it to be told. Most of our work is cross-genre and we love the contact we have with other self-pubbed authors, readers and bloggers. Being self-pubbed allows you to get your hands dirty and really immerse yourself in the industry.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?


Amos: The work involved. There is a lot to do… Covers, blurbs, formatting, promo…

Cassidy: Writing the book is only the beginning…

Which of your characters are you most like? Least like?

Amos: Well, I will say that I would love to look like Raven! Or even Ossian… I do have Raven’s aloofness and Damon’s love of art. I wish I could cook like Flo… I’d love to pop round to hers for a shepherd’s pie – one made with veggie mince, though.

Cassidy: Personality wise I would say I am most like Rose. As a mother, I would be most like Flo… Substitute the cigarettes for cream cakes…


Do you have a particular writing habit??

Amos: Music. I love having music on when writing away.

Cassidy: Not really, I do like a cup of coffee to hand.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?  

Amos: I would gather several authors together and create a hybrid. Those authors would be; George R. R. Martin, Anne Rice, J K Rowling, Haruki Murakami and Stephen King.

Cassidy: There are several for me also; Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Anne Rice, and Kelley Armstrong.

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

Amos: Susan Ee really grabbed my attention. Angelfall was fantastic. I also discovered Barbara Elsborg. She has been doing it for a while, but I only found her work very recently. She writes some fantastic M/M Romance.

Cassidy: There are a few that I have come across. Dannika Dark’s Mageri Series is brilliant and Victoria Schwab is a new author I recently stumbled across.


What is the hardest part of your writing?


Amos: The putting things together can be quite tricky. There can be a lot of shuffling around and pondering about what should slot where. We always know what the content should be, but we have to get there. It’s like a jigsaw puzzle, but one that is ultimately fun. We always get there in the end.

Cassidy: I agree with Amos.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Amos: Just keep at it! If you want to write, then write. And write what you enjoy writing, and even what you enjoy to read.

Cassidy: Write what you would enjoy reading.

Amos: And don’t give up.



Describe yourself in three words.

Amos: Neurotic, geek, diva.

Cassidy: Organized, loyal, caring.

I know characters are like children but if you could chose, who’s your favorite from your books?


Amos: I love them all, but my favourites to write are Raven and Ossian. There is another, but I’m not telling…

Cassidy: I love Thistle! She is my absolute favourite character.  As the series progresses she grows into one of the more multifaceted characters.

Any song or songs that could basically sum up the overall mood of your writing?

Amos: Can I pick three albums? They would be; Aladdin Sane by David Bowie, Heroes by David Bowie and One Breath by Anna Calvi.

Cassidy: Erm…I think Amos covered it.

Do you plot out your books or just freely write them and let the characters tell you what to do next?

Amos: We plot, but also let things happen when we get down to the writing. There is always a plan, but it’s not set in stone. Crimson Midnight had many forms before we ended up with the book it is today.

Cassidy:  We like to leave room for the story to take over.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider the biggest influence in your writing?

Amos: Man, that is a tricky one. Can I refer this back to my hybrid of authors from earlier, please?

Cassidy: Probably the first few authors that had me running to the library to grab another armload of books – Stephen King, Dean Koontz and Richard Laymon.

What are your current projects? Can you share a little of your current work with us?

Amos and Cassidy: As well as The Crimson Series, we have another series called The Rain Series. The first book, The Rain: Rebirth was released in January and we are currently hard at work on the second book, The Rain: Lost Souls. We also have a brand new project in the early planning stages, and will be working on the fourth Crimson novel, Crimson Frost, later in the year.



No comments:

Post a Comment

OUAB 2023 Finale

  Welcome to Black Words-White Pages!! My name is Jenny Zimmerman and I am going to share with you everything that happened last weekend Jul...