Thursday, May 31, 2018

Sleuthing Women Authors: Meet Tricia L. Sanders



Hello Black Words-White Pages fans and thank you for stopping by!! Ready to meet another Sleuthing Woman Author? Today we are featuring Tricia L. Sanders!! Click on her name to follow her on Facebook!! 


Now to get on with the interview!!



Tricia L. Sanders





What is the first book that made you cry?
To Kill a Mockingbird

Does writing energize or exhaust you?
Writing energizes me. Editing exhausts me.

What is your writing Kryptonite?
Iced Tea  -- a giant glass filled with ice. No lemon, no sugar.

Have you ever gotten reader’s block?
Not really. But if I have a lot of deadlines then it makes it hard for me to concentrate.

What other authors are you friends with, and how do they help you become a better writer?
Camille Faye, Margo Dill, Brandi Schmidt. They are members of my critique group and their eyes and words of wisdom are invaluable.

As a writer, what would you choose as your mascot/avatar/spirit animal?
Flamingo

What do you owe the real people upon whom you base your characters?
I don’t really base my characters on people I know, so nothing. Though, that sounds harsh.

How many unpublished and half-finished books do you have?
A hard drive full. Mysteries, women’s fiction, and even a historical.

Do you view writing as a kind of spiritual practice?
No.

What’s the most difficult thing about writing characters from the opposite sex?
Making them be realistic and not what we want them to be. Ha! Every character has flaws, but we don’t want our ideal hero to have flaws, so you have to make them not too perfect. But perfect enough, we root for them to get the heroine.

How many hours a day do you write?
It depends. Between marketing, writing, and editing, I’m usually in my office 6-8 hours a day. I’ve gone as high as 12 on a deadline.

Have you read anything that made you think differently about fiction?
Can’t think of anything.

How do you select the names of your characters?
Baby name lists for the years my characters were born. I’m also holding a character name in reserve that I named after two counties I was passing through and thought they made a great name. I just need the right story for her.

If you didn’t write, what would you do for work?
Photography

Do you read your book reviews? How do you deal with bad or good ones?
Yes. I find it best not to engage with a reviewer. They are entitled to their opinion.

Do you hide any secrets in your books that only a few people will find?
Yes

What was your hardest scene to write?
One where my character hurt someone’s feelings who cared for her.

What one thing would you give up to become a better writer?
Sleep

What is your favorite childhood book?
This question always dates me. The Donna Parker books, a series of 7 books written by Marcia Martin (aka Marcia Levin.)

What is the most difficult part of your artistic process?
Outlining. I’ve learned through trial and error that I have to plot my book before I start. I cannot wing it.

How long on average does it take you to write a book?
Good question. I can write a book in about a month, but the revisions take me months.

Who are some of your favorite authors?
So many, but a few are Harlan Coben, Mary Kay Andrews, the late Ann George, Mary Daheim, Susan Albert Wittig.


Who are some authors in your genre that inspire you?
All of them. I love cozies and will read them all.

What are some great books you’ve read recently?
Lots

What types of books do you enjoy in your downtime?
I love mysteries above all, but also enjoy women’s fiction, dystopian, and suspense.

What sort of research did you do to write this book?
My husband is a retired cop, so I pick his brain a lot.

How did you come up with the idea for your book?
A newspaper story

What does a typical workday look like for you?
Gym and breakfast a coffee shop with my husband, writing/editing/email, lunch, writing/editing/email, dinner, then Netflix binging. I’ll throw in a load of laundry or other chores periodically through out the day as I need a stretch.

What is the main thing you want readers to take away from your book?
You can have your journey with a hit of humor and a piece of cake

If your novel were being made into a movie, whom would you pick to play the lead roles?
Wow, I don’t know. My Cece and Alder character are so real to me, I’d really have to think on that question.

Do you outline books ahead of time or are you more of a by-the-seat-of-your-pants writer?
I didn’t use to, but spent days and weeks spinning my wheels, so I do know. That’s why the pantser has so many unfinished novels on the hard drive. I’m going back now and deconstructing them to create outlines.

What do you do in your free time when you aren’t writing?
Travel. I visited over 15 countries in 2017.

Do you put yourself in your books/characters at all?
I like to think there is a little of my personality of each of my characters. The good, the bad….you get my drift.

What has been one of your most rewarding experiences as an author?
Having someone tell me how much they could relate to a character in my book.

Out of all the books you’ve written, do you have a favorite?
Any book I’ve finished is my favorite. LOL! The unfinished ones mock me.

What are your top three favorite books of all time?
Sacajawea by Anna Lee Waldo, Follow the River by James Alexander Thom, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee




Murder is a Dirty Business 


When Cece Cavanaugh’s husband empties their joint bank account, steals her designer luggage, and runs off with a younger woman, Cece must decide whether to ask her manipulative mother-in-law for a handout or get a job. Choosing the easier path, Cece lands a job cleaning a crime scene where a high school coach was murdered. When his wife is implicated—a young woman Cece practically raised—Cece finds herself mopping floors, balancing an empty checkbook, and ferreting out a killer.

Amid all this messy business, Cece bumps heads with a handsome detective. She tries to ignore her growing attraction to the detective, but he gives new meaning to the term “hot flash.”

After she stumbles onto a clue that could vindicate her friend, her elation turns to panic when she haphazardly confronts the killer. Through the danger and romance, Cece discovers self-reliance and inner strength.

And that crime—at least, someone else’s—does pay the bills.


BUY LINK: AMAZON

Thank you so much, Tricia, for stopping by and letting us get to know you!! This has been a lot of fun!! To know more about this author and her books starting on June 12, 2018, join the Facebook group HERE!!! There will be takeovers and lots of fun things to come!!


2 comments:

OUAB 2023 Finale

  Welcome to Black Words-White Pages!! My name is Jenny Zimmerman and I am going to share with you everything that happened last weekend Jul...