Monday, June 11, 2018

Sleuthing Women Authors: Meet K.E. O'Connor




Hello Black Words-White Pages fans and thank you for stopping by!! Ready to meet another Sleuthing Woman Author? Today we are featuring K.E. O'Connor!! Click on her name to follow her on Facebook!! 


Now to get on with the interview!!





K.E. O'Connor




What is the first book that made you cry?
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis. When the bad stuff happens to Aslan (I won’t say what in case anyone hasn’t read it), it gets to me just thinking about it. That lion is amazing.
Does writing energize or exhaust you?
It depends which part of the writing I’m involved in. The plotting is thrilling because things always spring into my minds and add to the excitement. The first draft is always fun because my characters seem so real in my head. I know what their focus is and how they will behave (mostly, sometimes there is a tangent.) The editing gets less energizing, and by the time the final version is on my desk, I’m already on the next mystery and am done.
What is your writing Kryptonite?
Grammar. I was so sure I was a genius at the grammar, then something stumps me and I’m back checking if a comma should go there or there. And is it passed or past? What about was or were? I’m glad I have a lovely proof reader called Lana and some great beta readers who pick those things up.
Have you ever gotten reader’s block?
Yes, I’m sad to say. It’s so easy to say ‘next’ now we have e-books. If something doesn’t grab me I’m looking for something else. I always grit my teeth and finish a paperback, although there might be some page jumping to get to another good bit. I recently did that with a terrible horror book I found at my mum’s house. It was so terrible, there was even a gross sex scene that had we feel queasy. But, I finished it!
What other authors are you friends with, and how do they help you become a better writer?
I’ve got lots of online writer friends. We all seem to be extreme introverts so meeting facing to face is a big deal. I consider Anne R Tan a writing buddy and am always happy to promote her new books to my readers.
I’m in a couple of supportive facebook groups and we all encourage and applaud each other for hitting a goal and sharing a knowing wink when things don’t go to plan.

Reader?
They help by writing some amazing books that are so easy to get lost in. I know when I’ve lost track of time I’m on to some great writing. I have a heap of virtual books to get through and need more time in the day to enjoy them.
As a writer, what would you choose as your mascot/avatar/spirit animal?
A panda – especially if I forget to take my eye makeup off! I should say cat because I’ve had cats in my live since I was a baby. But I am a ponderous soul, enjoy eating almost continuously, am vegetarian, and am really bad at finding a mate (there are less than 2000 wild pandas, so imagine how hard it is to find someone to click with when there are so few of you!)
What do you owe the real people upon whom you base your characters?
It’s all fiction. No real people are involved in my books! Cough. Okay, but I tend to put people in who could do with a telling off. They’re often the villains and then I can get rid of them. Some people say Lorna Shadow is a bit like me, but she’s so much braver.
How many unpublished and half-finished books do you have?
Three. They are not mysteries, so are more passion projects. They might come under a pen name one day. One is a story about an entitled princess the other is about a dwarf, and the third is my work in progress until a pen name.
Do you view writing as a kind of spiritual practice?
Hmmm. I’m was raised by a lapsed Catholic and an agnostic mother (it was interesting times.) I ended up with a confused mindset as a kid when it came to spiritual matters.
I also studied archaeology for four years with a focus on prehistoric and early humans, so have a logical brain when it comes to spirituality. Saying that, early humans started cave painting and possibly burying their dead a long time ago, so open minds are the way to go.
I do meditate, which helps with my frantic thought patterns, and when I’m in the flow of writing a great story there’s nothing more satisfying.
I should have just said YES!
What’s the most difficult thing about writing characters from the opposite sex?
Not making them sound too into their feelings. Guys don’t tend to chat about feelings and my ladies often do.
How many hours a day do you write?
1-2 hours in new words and then the rest on editing and refining those rough words. I use dictation software, so can get about 5,000 words done on a good day.
Have you read anything that made you think differently about fiction?
I took an A-level in English Literature that put me off reading for years!! Pulling apart everything to find the hidden meaning is a horrible thing to do to a book. We read the Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood and I hated it for a long time. Recently, I’ve read it again and it’s amazing when I’m immersed in the story and not looking for all the little nuances.
I’ve also read a couple of Hilary Mantel books that so disturbed me I gave them away because I couldn’t have them on my shelf. That’s a sign of an amazing book when it impacts on you so deeply. One is Beyond Black if you really want to creep yourself out.
How do you select the names of your characters?
I have been known to scan through the TV guide or websites for names. I pinch my friends names and muddle them up. With Lorna Shadow I wanted something both friendly and dark, because she has a unique talent that can be a bit freaky. Also, in this series, I might have borrowed my cousins’ names – Lorna and Helen.
If you didn’t write, what would you do for work?
I used to be a charity fundraiser, which was sort of fun, but there was too much admin. If money was not an issue, I’d work at an animal sanctuary. I volunteer at a lovely place called Hillside two days a week. They rescue hundreds of abused animals and either find them new homes or give them a place there for life. They recently saved over forty dogs from an unlicensed puppy farm. It breaks my heart to see these bewildered fur babies seeing the outside world for the first time. So, definitely something animal related.
Do you read your book reviews? How do you deal with bad or good ones?
Now and again. I try not to, but I focus on the bad ones. It does sting when someone thinks your words aren’t good enough. When I see a good one, it makes me smile and realize this is all worthwhile. I write to give people an escape and something to enjoy. If I can do that, I feel like a winner. You are never going to have everyone like you.
Do you hide any secrets in your books that only a few people will find?
Lol! Not in these books, but I have another series where I do that, dropping in book titles as part of a conversation. I’m not sure anyone else has noticed.
What was your hardest scene to write?
Fight scenes. I don’t want it to be too clinical but also need to show the intent behind any violence – the emotional turmoil during a fight. I prefer to write a comedy fights than a serious one, where people pull hair and fall over and air punch.
What one thing would you give up to become a better writer?
Underwear? My car? Chocolate? I could live without all those things. Don’t gasp in horror over the chocolate. I’m a writer, I spend all day on my butt. This butt of mine does not need any more sweet treats!
What is your favorite childhood book?
It has to be the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe again. I read that book so many times, my mum had to stick it together with tape. It’s so magical and mysterious. I’ve lost count of the number of times I tried to find Narnia in the back of a wardrobe.
That reminds me, I must get myself a new copy.
What is the most difficult part of your artistic process?
Focusing on one idea at a time. I want to write all the books in my head now but I would collapse if I tried. I have trouble sleeping at night because it all whirls in my head.
How long on average does it take you to write a book?
I’m speedy, partly thanks to using dictation software. About 8-10 days for a first draft. Then it goes through editing, proofing, and my beta team. I try to release every 6 weeks or so to keep readers happy.
Who are some of your favorite authors?
C.S. Lewis, Patricia Briggs, Kelley Armstrong, Marissa Meyer, J.K. Rowling, Amanda M. Lee, Leighann Dobbs, May Sage.
Who are some authors in your genre that inspire you?
Bobbi Holmes’s Haunting Danielle series is excellent. Leighann Dobbs for her great characters and quirky settings. Amanda M. Lee for her snarky witches. Adele Abbott for her sleuthing witch. H.Y. Hanna for her funny, quirky mysteries set in Oxford. Jana DeLeon for her stunning characters and fun setting.
What are some great books you’ve read recently?
Coffee and Ghosts by Charity Tahmaseb. It’s a series of short stories about a ghost catcher who uses coffee to catch ghosts. It’s wonderfully different and great fun to read.
Adele Abbott – Witch is how Things Changed. I think it’s number 25 in a humorous witch mystery series. The main character, Jill, and Winky the one-eyed cat are brilliant. When I read her books it’s like meeting up with old friends.
What types of books do you enjoy in your downtime?
Everything! I’m a book tart. I just finished Marissa Meyer’s  and am reading a series of short stories in a YA setting.
What sort of research did you do to write this book?
I Google images of houses, sometimes murder weapons (especially when it comes to drugs). I also research journey times and plants in season when relevant.
How did you come up with the idea for your book?
The ‘what if’ is a great starting point. What if ghosts can’t cross over until their murder has been solved? What if two witches can’t find love until they solve an ancient family mystery? What if zombies were accepted and not blood thirsty and just wanted to fit in?
I play ‘the what’ if games for hours.
What does a typical workday look like for you?
This is a perfect day. They happen about twice a year:
Get up at 7.30 – dictate for an hour.
8.30 - Exercise, shower, and eat while the dictation is transcribed.
9.30 – edit dictated words (about 5,000) – have a few short breaks in between to not get stiff
Noon – break for lunch and some internet surfing
1 – plotting for next book (time to ask the what if questions)
2 – sort out any email promotions of social media posts that need to be scheduled and written
3 – If I’m not getting tired, do another hour of dictation (this doesn’t happen too often)
4 – Reading time (this doesn’t happen as much as I’d like
5 – mindless web surfing and maybe watch a few youtube videos
Most days it’s a mix of all of this. One thing that always happens is the writing. I’m not allowed to leave for the day until I get my 5,000 words down. If I have to work until midnight, it happens. That is a rule I don’t break.
What is the main thing you want readers to take away from your book?
A smile. I want them to feel happy after reading a book, as if they’ve just hung out with some buddies and had a riot.
If your novel were being made into a movie, whom would you pick to play the lead roles?
Anne Hathaway, Ellen Page, Jennifer Carpenter, Kirsten Dunst, or Anna Hendrick for Lorna. Someone cute and attractive girl next door. An actress who pulls off a quirky vibe.
Heather Locklear in her Dynasty days, or Kelly Brook if she dyed her hair blonde for Helen.
Do you outline books ahead of time or are you more of a by-the-seat-of-your-pants writer?
I always outline. I have large index cards and hand write a chapter per card. I have the plot points on each card so I don’t miss anything. Then I read off those as I write so I don’t lose the thread and start changing names or times or day or murder weapon!
What do you do in your free time when you aren’t writing?
Read (not a surprise.) Watch way too much TV – all in the name of research. I often watch films and write out the plots as I’m watching. I love animals and walk rescue dogs twice a week in the beautiful countryside around me. I’m a huge rock music fan and enjoy a good dance off in my living room with an air guitar.
Do you put yourself in your books/characters at all?
Little bits and bobs. My love of animals is in the books. Lorna adores Flipper the dog. I also love cake, so that often features (not very often in real life anymore.)
What has been one of your most rewarding experiences as an author?
When you get a lovely email from a reader saying how much they enjoy your books.
Out of all the books you’ve written, do you have a favorite?
Ghostly Proposal. It’s the supporting characters I love in this book. SPOILER ALERT. The family is full of dodgy mobsters who stole a load of gold and hid it something. The grandma in the wheelchair is so funny and there’s a scene involving a swimming pool that always makes me laugh.

What are your top three favorite books of all time?

Eeeek!!!! I can’t answer that. The books that have stayed with me for many years include:

Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (everyone knows who wrote this)
Winter by Marissa Meyer. A haunting beautiful fairytale retelling about a tortured princess and her soulmate
Misery by Stephen King. That man can write a stunning character


Lorna Shadow Cozy Ghost Mystery Box Set: (books 1-3)

A three-book box set of cozy ghost mysteries, full of fun, mystery, ghosts who need help, and a few feisty animals. There are three complete cozy mysteries to solve. Grab a mug of tea, a slice of cake, and get solving these fun cozy mysteries.

Book 1 - Ghostly Manners

A new job. A haunted house. A ghost with a problem.

When Lorna Shadow arrives at her new job, as personal assistant to the wealthy Lord Galbraith, she discovers a lot more than old-fashioned manners and paperwork. A ghost is haunting the house and she’s not happy.

Lorna has a skill she never puts on her CV. She can see ghosts. And they see her and won’t leave her alone until she’s helped them.

Little does Lorna know, her efforts to help this ghost will put her own life at risk.

The ghost at the manor house, Beatrice Galbraith, led a quiet life, secluded in the family estate, with her beloved dogs for company, her eccentric brother, and his frosty wife. But that didn’t stop someone seeking Beatrice out and ending her life.

Accompanied by her best friend, Helen Holiday, and her even more faithful dog, Flipper, Lorna needs to solve the murder and help Beatrice find peace, while making sure the killer doesn’t decide she’s causing too much trouble!

Follow Lorna, Helen, and Flipper in this fun cozy ghost mystery as they work through the suspects and make the shocking discovery of who killed Beatrice Galbraith.

Book 2 - Ghostly Secrets

A troubled ghost. A house full of suspects, and a mystery that needs solving.


Lorna Shadow is back in a new ghost mystery. Joined by her best friend Helen, and her faithful dog, Flipper, Lorna must deal with Archie Musgrave, a stubborn ghost who doesn't believe his death was an accident.

As Lorna investigates, the list of suspects grows long, and the ghost becomes increasingly agitated.

When Archie's widow is almost killed, Lorna must act fast to stop anyone else from dying.

Follow Lorna in this fun, cozy ghost mystery, as she unmasks the killer and Archie gets the justice he deserves.

Book 3 - Ghostly Games

The sound of ghostly laughter. An unsolved disappearance. And an ectoplasmic experience!

Lorna Shadow is starting a new job, and hopeful this one will be permanent. But she isn't in the house for long before the ghosts arrive, and bring a tragic secret with them. 

With Zach working away and concerned about her safety with so many ghosts around, Lorna must rely on Helen and Flipper to help her with this puzzle. How are the ghosts connected, and what do they know about how they died?

Lorna must find out and help to heal a grieving household; a household with plenty of skeletons in the closets.

This is the third book in the Lorna Shadow cozy ghost mystery series. It features adventure, ghostly mystery, and a whole lot of clean fun. Join Lorna, Flipper, her faithful dog, and the ever ditzy Helen, as they try to keep their places in the household, and help the ghosts find peace.


BUY LINK: AMAZON


Thank you so much, K.E., for stopping by and letting us get to know you!! This has been a lot of fun!! To know more about this author and her books starting on June 12, 2018, join the Facebook group HERE!!! There will be takeovers and lots of fun things to come!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

OUAB 2023 Finale

  Welcome to Black Words-White Pages!! My name is Jenny Zimmerman and I am going to share with you everything that happened last weekend Jul...