Monday, June 4, 2018

Sleuthing Women Authors: Meet S.E. Babin



Hello Black Words-White Pages fans and thank you for stopping by!! Ready to meet another Sleuthing Woman Author? Today we are featuring S.E. Babin!! Click on her name to follow her on Facebook!! 


Now to get on with the interview!!




S.E. Babin




What is the first book that made you cry?
Old Yeller.

Does writing energize or exhaust you?
Sometimes both, especially on deadline week!

What is your writing Kryptonite?
A good book.

Have you ever gotten reader’s block?
I have. If I read too much of one certain genre, I won’t pick up another book for awhile.

What other authors are you friends with, and how do they help you become a better writer?
Well, I don’t have a lot of author friends. I’d say Aimee Brown. She tells me if something is terrible, which is what all friends should do.

Reader?
For reals.

As a writer, what would you choose as your mascot/avatar/spirit animal?
Coffee.

What do you owe the real people upon whom you base your characters?
Apologies.

How many unpublished and half-finished books do you have?
Just a couple. I have a whole list of unwritten ideas, though.

Do you view writing as a kind of spiritual practice?
No. I have a separate spiritual practice and viewing write as an enjoyable job.

What’s the most difficult thing about writing characters from the opposite sex?
Trying to really get into their head and make them sound authentic.

How many hours a day do you write?
2-3 hours unless it’s the week before deadline, then approximately eleventy bajillion.

Have you read anything that made you think differently about fiction?
The Book Thief ripped my soul out and stomped on it. It made me really want to make readers feel something when I wrote a story.

How do you select the names of your characters?
I Google to make sure they aren’t already taken and then usually try to come up with something that sounds clever.

If you didn’t write, what would you do for work?
I’m prior military. I’d probably still be in.

Do you read your book reviews? How do you deal with bad or good ones?
I do. Good ones make me feel like I’m getting a hug. Bad ones usually make me chuckle, especially if I’ve really managed to rile someone up.

Do you hide any secrets in your books that only a few people will find?
I always add one true event into my books.

What was your hardest scene to write?
Death scenes. Especially if I like the character. Though I don’t make it a habit to kill a lot of people.

What one thing would you give up to become a better writer?
Bad hair days. Ha. Seriously, though, I’m not sure. I think being a better writer is simply a matter of practice and constant learning.

What is your favorite childhood book?
Shel Silverstein’s The Giving Tree.

What is the most difficult part of your artistic process?
Sitting down and writing.

How long on average does it take you to write a book?
Depends. I’ve written one in as short as ten days, but it’s taken me as long as six months.

Who are some of your favorite authors?
Sarah J. Maas, Ilona Andrews, Jim Butcher, too many to name.

Who are some authors in your genre that inspire you?
I love Bailey Cates and Heather Blake.

What are some great books you’ve read recently?
I love the Throne of Glass series. I’m re-reading them.

What types of books do you enjoy in your downtime?
I love fantasy, urban fantasy, chick-lit, cozies. ALL THE BOOKS. Besides non-fiction. I like to escape from the real word.
What sort of research did you do to write this book?
If I’m writing a book about a job, I tend to research the heck out of it to make sure I sound authentic. Other than that, I usually take a lot of liberties.

How did you come up with the idea for your book?
Most ideas I come up with in the shower. It’s the only quiet part of my day, usually.

What does a typical workday look like for you?
Coffee, repeatedly reminding the kids to brush their teeth, getting them out of the house, more coffee, updating social media, writing, somehow remembering to shower, dinner, again reminding the kids to brush their teeth.

What is the main thing you want readers to take away from your book?
The fact that they were able to set aside a few hours of their regular day and laugh.

If your novel were being made into a movie, whom would you pick to play the lead roles?
I kind of love Emma Stone. Also, Anna Faris.

Do you outline books ahead of time or are you more of a by-the-seat-of-your-pants writer?
I used to be firmly by the seat of my pants and now I plot almost all of it and see where the wind blows me for the rest of it.

What do you do in your free time when you aren’t writing? Reading, toting kids around, baking.

Do you put yourself in your books/characters at all?
In every book I have a true to my life event.

What has been one of your most rewarding experiences as an author?
Making people happy.

Out of all the books you’ve written, do you have a favorite?
I do. It’s Wilde Omens. It doesn’t sell very well because it’s super weird, but I love it.

What are your top three favorite books of all time?
Nooo. This is an impossible question for a bookworm. If I had to choose, I’d say Throne of Glass, The Book Thief and the Hidden Legacy novels by Ilona Andrews.




THE NERDY NECROMANCER



Helen Reaper has a weird relationship with the dead. As in she can bring anyone or anything back to life, so she’s constantly bombarded by people begging her to restore their loved ones, their pet fish, that cute girl who fell off a building while taking a selfie. Super. Annoying. So Helen becomes a necessary introvert and a homebody, choosing to absorb herself in books instead of real life.

The Deadication Dating Agency, the mysterious matchmaking service in her town of Midnight Cove, comes to her in the form of a mysterious letter and a cute little puppy.

They know someone who’s already dead who won’t mind her talent one little bit.

Can a woman who raises the dead find a love that stays alive?



BUY LINK: AMAZON


Thank you so much, S.E., for stopping by and letting us get to know you!! This has been a lot of fun!! To know more about this author and her books starting on June 12, 2018, join the Facebook group HERE!!! There will be takeovers and lots of fun things to come!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

OUAB 2023 Finale

  Welcome to Black Words-White Pages!! My name is Jenny Zimmerman and I am going to share with you everything that happened last weekend Jul...