Monday, November 12, 2018

Author Q&A: Meet Sean Kerr





Welcome back BWWP fans!! Today, we are going to learn a bit about Sean Kerr with some Q&A. So, let's get started!!


SEAN KERR



Why did you go Indie?

KERR: I am lucky enough to be with a small independent publishing house, Extasy Books, but Indie publishing has always appealed to me. When I first pursued publication, I thought that getting a publisher and/or an agent was the thing to do, and I pursued that goal with utter determination. At that point, I didn’t know anybody in the industry, so I always considered the Indie route beyond my ability. After being published for a couple of years, and because I had made a lot of contacts, I realised it was something I could pursue, and pursue properly. I love the control that being Indie published offers, and it also means that I can push the boundaries with my writing more than I could with a traditional publisher. For example, in my new book, ‘The Man Inside Me’, there is a particularly risky death scene towards the end of the book, and I know that would have broken the house rules of my publisher. Writing, for me, is all about taking risks and pushing the boundaries, and I wanted this book to stretch the genre and challenge it, both in terms of the writing style, story, and characters. As an Indie publisher, I was able to do this. I am VERY lucky, because my editor at Extasy Books is also free-lance, so I have been able to work with her very closely on my Indie projects, and she always keeps me absolutely grounded and honest. Her name is Laura McNellis of Alternative Edits, and the woman is a God to me, and an absolute genius. She is a believer in producing the best quality work possible, and that is a mantra I have always lived by, so I am particularly proud of my Indie published books.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

KERR: That I tend to put more of ‘me’ in my books than I ever intended lol. As a gay man rapidly approaching my fifties, this book is particularly pertinent to me, and the feelings expressed within the pages pretty much describes me. As I grow older, I feel less desirable and unattractive, and to a certain extent it feels as though my time is over, even though I vehemently fight against it. The main characters in this book are middle aged and feel that their time for love has passed them by and that they are no longer considered desirable by their fellow gay men. Its an odd insecurity, because it almost feels as though I am invisible to the world because I am about to turn fifty. Writing this book really brought this home to me, but it also made me determined to turn that around. No-body puts baby in the corner, and I’m one great big baby!

Which of your characters are you most like - least like?

KERR: In this book, I am most like Henry. He is a man who has been deeply affected by personal tragedy, and it has pushed him to do things that perhaps are a bit desperate and dangerous. He is determined to succeed in his work, to make a difference in the world he lives in, and as a writer, that is something I can relate to. With every book I release, I always hope that it will make a difference, that the book will change the perceptions of the genre and help to drive it forward in new and exciting ways. As an aging gay man, I will also do anything I can to halt the aging process lol. You should see the draw of face creams I have!  While I may never be able to turn back time, I will continue to do my damnedest to delay it!

Do you have a particular writing habit?

KERR: Only that I like to write with something on in the background. In my case, I am a huge Doctor Who fan, so I tend to have that on as I write, or one of my very many monster movies. I love all the old black and white Universal films, and old British horror and monster films, so I have quite the collection.

Which writer would you consider a mentor?

KERR: One of the first authors I became friends with was Ian Cadena. He is a writer of the most amazing Urban Fantasy books (The Nexus) as well as some of the funniest and naughtiest MM books I have ever read (The Hard Boys). We became close friends very quickly, and we talk most days about our work, the industry and how to make ourselves more visible. We have done many Facebook events together, and we are always, without fail, at hand to help each other, and support each other. He is coming to the UK next year to visit, and we are going to the biggest MM Author signing event in the UK together, ShiMMer in Birmingham, February 2019. It is a massive event, and we are doing it together, and that gives me the biggest thrill of all.


What is the hardest part of your writing?

KERR: Writing good sex scenes. When I write, any sex scene that appears in my work needs to be there for a purpose and it needs to be a part of the story and tell you something about the character. Writing them is a nightmare lol. How do you keep them fresh and interesting? The sex scenes in this book were vital, because they have an important role in defining the characters and moving the story forward, but even then, to try and write them in such a way as to make them hot, and keep them believable, was a challenge.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

KERR: Never give up and write with passion. I see so much on the internet, in groups, blogs, forums etc, about writing to market. I know in my heart that I cannot do that. When I have an idea for a book, it has to excite me, and set my brain on fire. ‘The Man Inside Me’ came to me when I was in the hospital, and the idea fired me up so much that I started work on it while I was lying in a hospital bed! I hope that the passion and the love for the story translates onto the page, because I write from my heart, and I write what I love and what interests me. And that is the only real bit of advice I can ever give. If you write about something that inspires and excites you, then it will show in your work. Believe in your passion and believe in your work. Oh, and find an editor you can trust. Never underestimate the importance of an excellent editor, because they make a massive difference to your finished book.

Describe yourself in three words
KERR: Eccentric. Twisted. Loving.

What is your favorite character from your books? Of all time?

KERR: That is a difficult question to answer without giving away the twist in this book. Let me just say that there is a particular character who starts out as one thing, and becomes another, and he was a joy to write for. But, my overall favourite out of all the books I have written has to be Melek from my Dead Camp series. When you read the first two books in that series, Melek is portrayed as the bad guy. He has a vicious mouth, and an equally vicious brain, but as the series progresses, he becomes something else. In book 3, where I reveal his story, you cannot help but be drawn to him. He is a tremendously charismatic figure, rude, conniving, wicked, yet there is a reason for this, and as we get to know him, we start to love him. He was an absolute joy to write for, because he was so multidimensional and deep, with so many complex layers to him. You want to hate him, and you know you should hate him, but you just can’t do it.


Do you plot out your books or just freely write them and let the characters tell you what to do next?

KERR: I have to plot out all my books. I love complex interweaving plots and characters, so I start off with a rough story outline, and then I write out each character and work out all the relationships before I start. My Dead Camp series is a complex five book series, and I had to know in great detail where each book would lead. Things do change. Sometimes when you are writing a particular character, they can take on a life of their own and so you have to adjust accordingly, but that is part of the joy of this process. ‘The Man Inside Me’ was no different. Each of the characters has a particular relationship with each other, and because the book changes gear so dramatically half way through, I had to have it all outlined in detail before I started.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider the biggest influence in your writing?

KERR: There are two writers who changed my life and made me want to write. Bram Stoker is the first. I read Dracula when I was eight, and it changed everything for me. The way he tells the story through the eyes of each character is so compelling and beautiful, and it made me want to write my own stories. The second author is Elizabeth Kostova, and her book, ‘The Historian’. Like Dracula, I can’t tell you how many times I have read this book. It is a chilling tale of Dracula told from the view point of History, and it is so incredibly detailed, and so exquisitely written, and so very complex that I can only ever dream of getting anywhere near it. But the style of these two books, their formats, their use of detail and history, the way they tell a multi-layered story from the viewpoints of many characters is inspiring to me and has had a massive influence on the way I write and the way I tell stories.

Sean Kerr, thank you so much for stopping by today and letting me pick at your brain a little bit!! I have really enjoyed my time with you and learning a bit about you!!

You can follow the author at Facebook, Twitter, AmazonGoodreads, and/or his Website.





No comments:

Post a Comment

OUAB 2023 Finale

  Welcome to Black Words-White Pages!! My name is Jenny Zimmerman and I am going to share with you everything that happened last weekend Jul...