Monday, November 4, 2019

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Christy Sloat



Hello and welcome back to Black Words-White Pages and this week we get to learn a bit about Christy Sloat!! So without further adieu, let's get started!!!

CHRISTY SLOAT



Most of my favorite authors are indie or self-pubbed, what made me you decide to go that route?
Nothing in particular made me decide to do this route. I am actually published through CHBB, but I do consider myself Indie since they're a small press. I love the Indie community. There is nothing like it.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books? 
That so many people love time-travel. 

Which of your characters are you most like? Least like?
I can honestly say I am nothing like any of the characters in The Bibliophile. But in The Archivist, book two, I am very much like Savannah. She's an introvert who just wants to read all the time.

Do you have a particular writing habit? 
I have to have my laptop on the couch. Comfort is important to me. Although we just bought a new house that has a big office. So now I have to try to find that comfort in there with my new desk. Wish me luck. 

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
I have many authors I look up to, but as far as a mentor I would say SJ Davis and Rue Volley. Anytime I need writing advice they are there to answer me. They are such a great support system.

What is the hardest part of your writing?
Finding time to write. I think all writers struggle with this. With kids, sports, work, and life in general, writing takes a backseat. My goal is to go full time.

Do you have any advice for other writers?
Do not ever give up if this is your true dream. Many people will try to drag you down, but do not let them. Haters are everywhere; like cockroaches. I've been doing this for ten years, and it never gets easy. Do not give in to the haters.

Describe yourself in three words.
Honest, strong, and caring.

I know the characters are like children but if you could choose, who’s your favorite from your books? Of all time?
Oh this is so hard. Probably Brylee from The Brown House. She is like my niece. I sort of built her that way, and I love my niece. She's so tough that I look up to her in so many ways.

Any song or songs that could basically sum up the overall mood of your current book?
The Last of the Mohicans Soundtrack. You can listen to it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tjdswqGGVg



Do you plot out your books or just freely write them and let the characters tell you what to do next?
I do both. I plot out the main characters and the setting, but the rest is straight from my head to paper. It's hard to plot outlines for me. I am just not that organized.

What are your current projects? Can you share a little of your current work with us?
I am currently working on something I have never done before. It's totally out of my genre. It's not YA, or romance in any way. It's going to be shocking to some, but to others they will completely get it. In this next story you will see a side to monsters that you've never seen before. And you may actually take their side. Revenger at it's finest, but at the center of it all are monsters and the humans who have no clue that they are the targets.
It's a macabre masterpiece that I am very excited to be working on.

I have had so much fun talking with you, Christy and I am so glad you stopped by and talked with me!! You can connect with Christy below!!



ALSO FOLLOW HER AND PURCHASE HER BOOKS BELOW:

No comments:

Post a Comment

OUAB 2023 Finale

  Welcome to Black Words-White Pages!! My name is Jenny Zimmerman and I am going to share with you everything that happened last weekend Jul...