Monday, July 18, 2016

Author Spotlight: Author Q & A with Kamery Solomon



Meet the Author
Kamery Solomon


Author Q & A

Most of my favorite authors are indie or self-pubbed, what made you decide to go that route?
My mom had self-pubbed a few books and she was always telling me I should write one, but I wouldn’t do it, haha! Eventually, she finally got me to write a novella for an anthology she was putting together. I liked it so much, I just kept going after that Self-publishing was the only way I knew how to get it done the way I wanted.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
Author’s always joke about the “voices” in their head—they’re really there! And they talk at the most random times! It’s amazing how persistent someone who doesn’t exist can be, especially when you’re trying to do things like sleep.

Which of your characters are you most like? Least like?


I always try to put some of myself in all of my characters, but I’m probably the most like Mara, from my novel Taking Chances. Even her name was picked to mean the same thing as my own. That book was more for me than anyone else, sort of a realization of a dream I’ve always had, so I was definitely really identifying with her. As for which one I’m least like, I am absolutely nothing like Thomas Randall from The Swept Away Saga. I mean, I’m not bent on world domination, endless power, or have a thirst for blood that I have no problem fulfilling!  

Do you have a particular writing habit??

I like to listen to music while I write, as well as have the book cover or a picture that makes me think of the story up to look at. It helps me keep my head in the game while I work.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor? 

Absolutely my mom—Lacey Weatherford. I look to her for advice for everything, and I know she’ll always tell me the truth. When I’m feeling down, she’s always there to pick me up and help me find myself again. I have the best mom in the whole world!

Oh wow, I didn't know Lacey Weatherford is your mom!! She is an awesome Indie Author and one of my personal favorites!!

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

I have to admit, I almost never know if an author is new or not, haha! I don’t usually find out until after the fact, if I find out at all. Some new to me authors are Richelle Mead (I know, I’m WAY behind the game on that one LOL), Nicole Castroman, and Victoria Aveyard. I recently moved from a small town with no bookstore to the city with LOTS of bookstores, so I’ve been in heaven with all the books!

What is the hardest part of your writing?


Finding the right words to convey what I want to say. There’s a lot of ways to say one thing, but you want it to be just right, you know?

Do you have any advice for other writers?


You don’t have to make everyone like your book. Some people won’t care for it, and that’s okay. It doesn’t mean you’re a bad writer, or that you should quit, or anything like that. As long as you know you did your best and you love your story, you don’t have anything else to worry about.

Describe yourself in three words.


Silly, loving, and musical



I know characters are like children but if you could chose, who’s your favorite from your books?

Gah, this question is always so hard! I honestly have no idea, haha. There are aspects to all of them that make me love them so much. If I had to choose… I’d probably be stuck on this question forever!

Any song or songs that could basically sum up the overall mood of your writing?

I usually have a song or two for each book that really fits the mood, but I don’t really have one for my writing overall. When I’m writing The Swept Away Saga, I like to listen to a lot of orchestral music like the soundtrack to Pirates of the Caribbean, music by composers Two Steps From Hell and Peter Crowley Fantasy Dream (both on YouTube), and the Outlander television soundtrack. The God Chronicles sounds a lot more like ACDC and Metallica, haha!

Do you plot out your books or just freely write them and let the characters tell you what to do next?

It depends on the story. For the most part, I freely write. With books that need more historical accuracy and a set line, I do plan specific points in the story, but I write my way to them, instead of laying everything out from the very beginning.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider the biggest influence in your writing?

Lacey Weatherford, for sure, since I wouldn’t have ever written anything without her, haha! I also really enjoy Diana Gabaldon, who I have had the pleasure of meeting at a signing (she was very nice!). When I read Outlander for the first time, I remember thinking that I would like to write a time travel story, too. A while later, Swept Away came to me. I’ve always felt like my mind wouldn’t have tied the story together if it wasn’t.

What are your current projects? Can you share a little of your current work with us?

I’m currently working on two titles, both of which have little done because I’ve been moving and changing up some things in my life lately, haha! The one that will be released first has a working title of Exoria and is the finale of The God Chronicles. I’m also working on the third title in The Swept Away Saga, which is being called Hidden Away at the moment. I can share a little of that one, but it hasn’t gone through any edits yet and is subject to change.

SNEAK PEAK OF HIDDEN AWAY
Joe looked around the living room, his eyes lingering on the antique coins, salvaged anchor, and other artifacts I’d gathered over the years. “That’s some collection.” Motioning to the coins, he stepped forward as he tucked the number into his pocket, as if asking permission to look closer at the bookcase housing them.
“I’m somewhat of a coin aficionado.” Chuckling, I nodded as a form of permission, watching as he went to the shelves and stared at the beaten pieces of metal. Imagining that there was no use in trying to call the professor so late at night, and that he wanted to stay out of the dying storm a little longer, I decided there was no need to rush him out right now. It was nice to have new company, too.
“You ever work for a dive company before?” His voice had a calculating tone to it now, like he was trying to think of where and when each of the coins came from.
“When I was younger,” I offered. “Before I really knew anything about Oak Isle.”
Looking over his shoulder, Joe grinned at me. “I hear it’s easy to get sucked into it here. What’s that all about?”
Laughing, I shook my head, slowly walking over to join him. “If I told you, you would only want to know more. That’s how it starts, you know. You just want to know what’s going on, so you ask someone, but the information is never enough. You find yourself reading about it at the library, researching online, asking those who’ve been working there what they think. Your own opinions start to form and you suddenly realize that you want to get out there and try your own hand at it. And who knows? Maybe you’ll be the one who solves the Treasure Pit. There’s no way to ever know. You could be out there for a week or a decade. The island is like a capsule; she holds everyone who comes ashore suspended in time for as long as they’ll allow her.”
Turning from the cabinet, Joe watched me with curious and cautious eyes, seeming to think over what I’d said. “How long have you been in the time capsule?” The question hung in the air, not insulting but directly to the point he wanted answered.
“Several decades.” Smiling tightly, I stared hard at the coins, one of which was the very coin Mark had found in the swamp. It was the first real proof we had that something of value was out there.
“You’re still out there, aren’t you? Even though the state won’t let you set foot on Oak Isle, that’s where you are, mentally.”
The probing felt a little strange, coming from a complete stranger, but I agreed all the same. “I see it every time I close my eyes.”
Blowing air out of his mouth, he half laughed, shaking his head. “I would have given up a long time ago, especially with everything that happened.”
“That’s the problem with being stuck in a time capsule—it doesn’t want to give you up.”



FOLLOW THE AUTHOR

Thank you so much, Kamery, for stopping by and letting me pick at your brain!! It was a lot of fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

OUAB 2023 Finale

  Welcome to Black Words-White Pages!! My name is Jenny Zimmerman and I am going to share with you everything that happened last weekend Jul...