Wednesday, February 22, 2017

REVIEW: A Raven's Touch by Linda Bloodworth



A Raven's Touch
Linda Bloodworth




WARNING:
There is a GRAPHIC suicide in this story and there is VIOLENCE. The heroine is going to kill things since she is a demon slayer. 


Bullied through high school, seventeen-year-old Justice St. Michaels is grateful for the help of her best friend Moira O’Fhey. Their only wish is to graduate high school, leave the sleepy town of Fallingbrook and all that happened behind them. The Heavens have other plans. Between growths on her back and being involved in explosive school fights, nothing seems to make sense. When an unexpected encounter with Darien Raventhorn causes worlds to collide it exposes the truth about Justice's real identity. To avenge a family death, Justice must embrace her birthright, and slay a demon before all Hell breaks loose.







First of all, I want to start off by saying that I took into consideration that this is the Author's first (debut) story. And what I find most about debut stories, they do have some flaws to them and I have yet to meet a debut that doesn't have a few problems in them when you are new a Indie Author. It happens to them all. What I liked the most about this story was the warning about the violence in it, and though this is a YA, I believe it falls into the category of YA/New Adult. I would not recommend this to anyone under the age of 17. I must add that the Author has captured my attention and I am curious to read more books from this author.

Now, onto my overall.....
As I read this story, and like I said above not all debut stories are perfect, but this one did have quite a few punctuation mistakes throughout it. Some I could ignore, while others, I wrote notes on my kindle while reading, and wishing I could smudge away the mistakes, and as a beta reader, those mistakes stick out to me the most.

This was a genuinely unique and fascinating story. I loved the characters and the story-line. I loved the action and blood and gore parts the best. I believe this Author has a career in horror with her in-depth way of describing her gore scenes. Though, I must add that there were too many slow times in the story for my liking. I felt at times the story was long and drawn out a bit and could have had some things left out. I am a get to the point kind of girl and I believe that is why I felt as if the story dragged a bit. Everything happened so fast at the beginning that it left the rest of the story kind of blah, but it did have it's moments and would pick up and catch my interest once again. I do believe that this author does have a knack for storytelling and I really want to see where she will take us with these phenomenal characters. Now, this is just my opinion and I know there will be someone else who will rate this story higher than I did, but because I loved the blood, gore, action, and characters in this story, I am giving it my four book (star) review. I still highly recommend this story, because it is still a really great read.

Because of the warning for this book, I must enforce that reader discretion is advised......



No comments:

Post a Comment

OUAB 2023 Finale

  Welcome to Black Words-White Pages!! My name is Jenny Zimmerman and I am going to share with you everything that happened last weekend Jul...