Monday, December 24, 2018

DECEMBER SPOTLIGHT: AUTHOR Q & A with Hope Daniels & Alicia Dawn



Welcome back to Black Words-White Pages!! This week we get to sit down and talk with the dynamic duo, Hope Daniels and Alicia Dawn and learn a bit out them....So without further adieu, let's get started.


MEET THE AUTHORS




HOPE DANIELS



ALICIA DAWN



AUTHOR Q & A

Most of my favorite authors are indie or self-pubbed, what made me you decide to go that route?

Alicia: Kora Knight aka Nikita Jakz is the first person I published with she said let's do it an I was like what the heck! I like publishing Indy because you have more say so in what you want out the whole process. My mom and son support me 100% in my writing.

Hope: Alicia. (Laughs) No, it's true. She had already published indie, but I was satisfied to go the traditional route while working on other books. I think I knew we wouldn't be able to write as fast as we had originally planned. When my children moved back in with the grandkids, it became more and more difficult to carve out writing time without interruptions. My family doesn't support my writing projects as much as my hubby. They seem to think if I am home, I am available to babysit...NOT!



What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

Alicia:  Too many voices not enough time. Never enough time lol!

Which of your characters are you most like? Least like?

Hope: Zoey. Definite most like Zoey. She is full of fire. She knows what she wants and doesn’t let anything stop her from getting it. I’m not quite like that, but I am determined. She is sassy. So am I. She is full of life and has a potty mouth. (Raises hand) Yep. Me too. She cares for those around her to a fault sometimes and I am guilty of the same. I think we would both give you the food from our own table, the clothes off our back, but if you cross us or our family, you’d best run fast and far.

Alicia: Most like Ryan in the laid back sense and humor. I associate with them all though because a little bit of myself is in my characters.

Do you have a particular writing habit?
Hope: I need either music or the TV on a nameless channel that won’t get me watching it.

Alicia: No internet distractions. Facebook is the bad one. Hope and I always sit across the room or table when writing. Her screen or mine create to many distractions for both of us.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

Hope: I have several. Lindsey Sandford, my editor. She is also the head of the LDL Ink Writing Group. She has been great inspiration to me as had the entire group. From CHBB Publishing, CEO, Sarah Davis Brandon’s words of wisdom kept me from giving up when going through a dark time. TL Travis, Lily Luchesi, Piper Kay all have given me words to encourage I keep writing, keep reaching, stretching, moving forward. I love these women so hard. I do not believe I can explain how much they have done for me.


Alicia: Hope would be the only one I draw upon for help when I’m stuck and need a kick in the rear to help me through a tough spot when writing.

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

Alicia: I’ve not read a book in a while nor have I invest the time into finding new authors to read as of late.

What is the hardest part of your writing?

Hope: Carving out time to write.

Alicia:  I’m in agreement with Hope, time is a precious commodity some days.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Hope: Find the genre you love and write. LEARN, IMPROVE, read, make friends, listen and do what experienced writers tell you to do. Most of all, be honest with your fans, other authors and yourself!

Alicia: Even when you think you can’t. You can. Don’t ever let anyone tell you different.

Describe yourself in three words.

Hope: Sassy, Confident, Stubborn

Alicia: Independant, Giving, Introvert

I know characters are like children but if you could chose, who’s your favorite from your books? Of all time?

Hope: Right now, I have to say Zoey. I’m torn between Newt, whom I’ve written his part until this up and coming book and Helen from The Awakening. Helen has some modern sass in her and I wrote her with my youngest daughter in mind. I have a love/hate relationship with her. Lol

Alicia: At the moment that’d be Pete, with Newt running a close second cause his personality is always talking to me since we are in the middle of writing his and Feathers book.


Any song or songs that could basically sum up the overall mood of your current book?


 


Do you plot out your books or just freely write them and let the characters tell you what to do next?

Hope: A little of both. We plot what needs to happen, but if the characters need to take a small side trip, we let them. We do draw them back to our plot and let our editor decide if it needs to be cut.

Alicia: As Hope said a little of both with a tendency to go where the voices lead.  
If you had to choose, which writer would you consider the biggest influence in your writing?

Alicia: Jude Deveraux, J.R. Ward, Julie Garwood, Lorelei James, Sherrilyn Kenyon. Just to name a few.    

What are your current projects? Can you share a little of your current work with us?

Hope: Alicia and I are working on the first draft of Hell Of A Life. It is in extremely rough form.

Alicia: What Hope said...

Wiping a stray tear from her eye, she put on her bitch face and stepped forward to greet the woman whose destiny she was about to change.
“You’ll have to head back to Denver, I’m afraid,” Feather commented. “Colleen knows very well we do not carry dark magik supplies here.”
“I’m afraid I don’t know who you mean,” Sarah responded.
“Don’t bullshite me, little witch. Her magikal signature is all over ye.”
“Fine. You must be the worthless daughter she has been telling me about. But she didn’t send me here. I came on my own. I wanted to see you for myself,” disdain dripped with each word Sarah spoke.
“Ya know what they say about curiosity, kitty cat,” Feather’s brogue grew thick as she argued with Sarah.
“I am more than a shifter,” Sarah growled, her magik flaring.
Feather quickly dampened Sarah’s outburst. “Yes, and I am more than a hedge witch. Ya’d best remember it. The next time we meet I’ll naught be as kind.”



You can start the series on Amazon today!!

Thank you, Hope and Alicia, for stopping by and talking to me today!! I have learned a lot from you both!!!

Follow the Authors at the links below
Hope Daniels

ALICIA DAWN

















No comments:

Post a Comment

OUAB 2023 Finale

  Welcome to Black Words-White Pages!! My name is Jenny Zimmerman and I am going to share with you everything that happened last weekend Jul...