Monday, September 19, 2016

INTERVIEW: Darlene Kuncytes



Hi everybody and welcome back to Black Words-White Pages!! This is always one of my favorite parts of the Author Spotlight and such a delight and joy to actually get to talk with the authors and learn something new that I didn't know about them. 

This week on the blog, I got the absolute honor to sit down and talk with Darlene Kuncytes Author and pick her brain, so to speak. I got to actually meet this bubbly author in person at Once Upon A Book Author Signing and Happily Ever After Ball and she is just a joy to sit and talk to. And, yes, she is just a cute and bubbly in person as she is on the internet and in her pictures. 

So, without further adieu, lets jump right on in and meet this talented author!! I hope you enjoy this interview as much as I did.


 Darlene Kuncytes Author


MEET THE AUTHOR

Most of my favorite authors are indie or self-pubbed, what made you decide to go that route?

That is a fabulous question! Well, I actually had a publisher approach me about going with them and I talked to some other author friends of mine, both indie and with publishers, and there were a few things that swayed me to stay self-published. First and foremost, it's the price aspect. I know how hard times are for people now a days, and I WANT people to be able to read my books, so I said that when I published my very first book, I never wanted to charge over $2.99 for any of my e-books. Reading is so amazing! I just can’t see paying $10.00 for something that is delivered electronically! The other thing is control. These stories are my babies, I envision them a certain way and it would crush me to have someone mess with that. I know it sounds crazy, but I LOVE being able to tell the story exactly the way it is in my head! I LOVE being self-published!


What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

That people would love my characters as much as I do! LOL Seriously! I never expected them to want more!


Which of your characters are you most like? Least like?


UGH! This is that "who's your favorite child" question!! IF I had to choose, I would say Desmond because he was my first! LOL Least? I honestly don't have a least favorite. Truly. For whatever reason, these characters are a part of me, and I love them all in different ways.

Do you have a particular writing habit??


Coffee! Plain and simple! I just sort of grab a huge cup and let the voices speak!


If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?


This is going to sound insane...but Stephen King. I was a total horror girl growing up! I know it's hard to believe that I became a romance writer, but it just goes to show you that you just never know! But, I LOVE how King writes his characters. They are so real! One of the best things someone said in one of my reviews once was that I wrote my characters so real that you can imagine yourself hanging out with them. Going to a bar for a drink. It was like you're there. That blew my mind and made me smile SO hard!


Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?


I am obsessed with Indie writers! There is SO much talent out there that I couldn't even begin to name them. I know there are people who are afraid to read indie authors, but I am telling you...there is so much wicked talent!


What is the hardest part of your writing?


Finding the time. I still work full-time and my weekends are my time to write, do take-overs, clean the house etc.



Do you have any advice for other writers?


I know that I've said this a thousand times, but it is so true. Write what you love and love what you write. Tell your stories from your heart.


Describe yourself in three words.


Smart-ass with heart. Hee hee



I know characters are like children but if you could chose, who’s your favorite from your books?

Katherine from I'll Be Seeing You. She has been through hell, but won't let it break her.


Any song or songs that could basically sum up the overall mood of your writing?
Anything by Michael Buble! LOL What can I say...I'm a romance writer! ;)



Do you plot out your books or just freely write them and let the characters tell you what to do next?
I totally write organically. I will have a general idea, but I let the characters take the lead.



If you had to choose, which writer would you consider the biggest influence in your writing?

Wow. Not sure. You all might not remember this author, but Lavryle Spencer. She wrote some historical romance and they were romantic and had humor in them. She got me into romance.



What are your current projects? Can you share a little of your current work with us?


I am currently working on Book 4 in the Supernatural Desire Series. Harper's Heavenly Embrace.
Here's a little taste!! ;)

Harper looked at him closely, her throat constricting painfully with what could only be described a raw, stunned disbelief as she tried desperately to keep the erratic beating of her heart at bay. This just couldn’t be happening! This had to be some sick, twisted joke or nightmare! He couldn’t actually be here!
 His black hair was shorter than she remembered and his incredibly sexy cinnamon eyes were absolutely hypnotizing as they held hers in their grasp as if he were almost sizing her up.  And as much as she hated to admit it, his intense scrutiny of her caused a strange fluttering deep down in her belly… nearly pulling the air from her lungs with a quick tug.
            “You’ve changed,” she croaked out finally, trying hard not to stare at the steely hard plains of muscle that now replaced his formerly gangly physique; but damn if that wasn’t asking a whole hell of a lot from her. Shit up a pole, she thought with a shiver, the boy had certainly grown up! Just where in the hell had that dorky little pest that she remembered gone? This man standing in front of her so confidently exuded danger and strength and it was really throwing everything off kilter for her.  
            He seemed to be studying her as he watched her sizing him up in nothing less than amusement and a snarky grin suddenly curved his amazing mouth. 
Harper found herself unable to look away from his perfect, full lips and his smile only widened, revealing straight white teeth that gleamed against the golden tan of his skin. Was that just the tiniest hint of arrogance she detected? She bristled slightly just as another shiver ran up her spine, making her toes tingle. Geez, Louise, but this was a cluster! The boy had definitely matured, and in more ways than she even cared to count. He was so far from the annoying pain in the ass that she remembered that is was mind boggling. And…she didn’t like it. She didn’t like it at all!  This all was so wayout of her comfort zone that it was in another time zone!
            Caleb suddenly seemed to snap out of wherever his thoughts had slipped as they continued to stare at each other and the smile left his face in an instant.  He cleared his throat as he shifted from foot to foot. It was as if a veil had suddenly fallen over his eyes, effectively closing her off to any emotion what so ever.  
            “Yeah, well. People do,” he replied darkly as he began to busy himself with straightening up the mess they had made. He picked up the broken chair and shrugged as if in apology, although it seemed anything but genuine. “Sorry about that.”
            Harper watched him and silently wondered what she should say. It had been four years since she had so ignorantly and stupidly hurt him, and it seemed as if he had no interest what so ever in making nice with her now. In fact, he seemed to pretty much despise her and who could blame him? She once again found herself wondering justwhat in the ever-loving hell he was doing here? She felt her temper flaring a bit and tried to push it back. No need to let her anger get the best of her…at least not just yet anyway.
            She took a long, deep breath as she struggled to get her thoughts in order. It was high time for answers.
            “Are you ever going to tell me just what in the hell you’re doing here?” She finally ground out, straightening her spine just a bit as she did and she couldn’t help but wince at the twinge of pain in her ribs that the movement caused. Damn demons! 


Thank you so much, Darlene, for stopping by and talking with me today!! I have really enjoyed this time with you!!



BOOKS BY THIS AUTHOR










ALL OF THESE BOOKS ARE FREE WITH 






4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love Darlene and all her books -- congrats on her newest release Wolf Bane - the third in the novella series

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have fallen in love with Darlene's writing too!! ❤

      Delete
  2. Oh, Jenny!! I am completely, fabulously, and totally grateful to you for the amazing feature this month! I just adore you!! You have NO idea!! Kisses and pouncehugs, my sweet!

    ReplyDelete

OUAB 2023 Finale

  Welcome to Black Words-White Pages!! My name is Jenny Zimmerman and I am going to share with you everything that happened last weekend Jul...