Monday, April 3, 2017

REVIEW: GLITTER AND GOLD ANTHOLOGY by Sherry Ficklin


Glitter and Gold Anthology
Sherry Ficklin




Glitter and Gold: A Canary Club Anthology
Set during the flamboyant anything-goes era of 1920's America, these three tales are filled with intriguing characters and rich imagery from the time period—with flappers, jazz music, gangsters, and lavish wealth. Escape to a different decade today with the compelling stories of the Canary Club Anthology.

Anthology Includes:


Novelette 1- Gilded Cage

Masie, the flaxen-haired daughter of notorious bootlegger Dutch Schultz, returns home from boarding school to find her family in crisis. Her mother is dangerously unstable, her father's empire is on the brink of ruin, and the boy she once loved has become a ruthless killer for hire. To keep her family's dangerous secrets, Masie is forced into a lie that will change the course of her future—and leave her trapped in a gilded cage of her own making.


Novelette 2- All That Glitters
A dame with brains, moxie, and killer curves, June West isn't your average flapper. She's managed to endear herself to the son of one of the most powerful gangsters in New York, earning herself a spot in the limelight that she's always longed for. With the infamous playboy at her side, June has become accustomed to living the high life. Lavish parties, expensive clothes, sparkling jewels—nothing is beyond her reach. But when her carefully woven web of lies finally catches up with her, she must make an impossible choice… come clean about her past and risk losing everything, or find a way to bury her demons—once and for all. 


Novelette 3 - Nothing Gold
Dickey has been down on his luck since the day he was born. Flat broke and sick of being looked down on, he meets young socialite Lilly Rose at a wild party. The connection is like a strike of lightning. From a wealthy New York family, this debutante is everything he's been told he can never have—and the only thing he wants. Determined to win her, he knows the only way to get her parents approval is with cold hard cash. So when a shot at the biggest score of his life comes around, he just can't refuse…






As everybody knows who follows me, knows that YA Paranormal is my favorite genre, but I have been following Ms. Ficklin's work for a while now and I am absolutely in love with her style of writing. It's unique in its own way and stands out in a crowd. The stories this author creates leaves a lasting impression on me every time I finish one of her books. When I found out she was releasing a new series, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it.....and I was for sure not disappointed in this story.

I loved the story-line from beginning to end. It had everything I loved about an era full of fancy dresses, speakeasies, gangsters, and bootlegging. I could actually picture this story unfold in my mind and I couldn't help but stop and daydream about the events as they unfolded. The characters were phenomenally vibrant, colorful, and so much fun to get to know. I really didn't want this story to end. I am actually craving to know more and will be impatiently waiting on the edge of my seat for the next book to come out. This book has left an everlasting impression on my mind and soul and I find myself wanting to go back and get lost in this story all over again. I highly recommend this story to all adults to read and enjoy.




WOW, I am always in shock and awe with this author's style of writing and this story is no different. I loved the layout of the story-line with its hidden secrets and realizations of dreams being shattered and crushed. The feeling of being in a cage that you can't seem to get out of, no matter how hard you try. I loved June's story and her struggles throughout her life. I felt as if I was living the story with June. She is an awesome character and I enjoyed every minute of her story. These books make me wish I was from the 1920's time era and could be part of the fun, excitement and glamour. This is a phenomenal read and I highly recommend it for all to enjoy too. This is also a standalone so you don't need to read book one to know and enjoy book two, however I do recommend book one too.





Wow, this book just like the others was amazing. I started reading and just couldn't stop myself, I had to finish. Ficklin has outdone herself once again and brought forth the liveliness of the 1920's. This has become my favorite new set of novelettes. The author spared us no details in this book and gave us the most twisted story yet that was not revealed until the end. The characters were phenomenal and felt so real. I felt as if I was living the life of the characters with them. The story-line was extremely entertaining and kept me hopping from one page to the next to see what would happen next. I highly recommend this read.




Overall Review: I absolutely loved this Anthology. I really enjoyed being able to dive back into the first two stories, and falling in love with them all over again, in this collect, while enjoying the third book for the first time. This is a magical Anthology that took me back in time to a world that truly existed but through the mind of the author and her astounding imagination. It brought an era that I so wish I could have been a part of and Ficklin shows us just how rough and tough these times were. I felt as if there was a movie playing in my head. So many memorable quotes and characters that I will feel the need to go back and re-read from time-to-time. I highly recommend this read. If you have not read this Anthology, then you are missing out on quite the adventure. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

OUAB 2023 Finale

  Welcome to Black Words-White Pages!! My name is Jenny Zimmerman and I am going to share with you everything that happened last weekend Jul...