Thursday, October 12, 2017

REVIEW: The Forgotten Child by Donald Levin







Newly retired Martin Preuss passes his days quietly with his beloved son Toby. When a friend asks him to look for a boy who disappeared forty years ago, the former investigator gradually becomes consumed with finding the forgotten child. Meanwhile, ex-colleague Janey Cahill persuades him to help her locate the missing father of a troubled young girl. Juggling both cases, Preuss revisits the countercultural fervor of Detroit in the 1970s-and plunges into hidden worlds of guilty secrets and dark crimes that won't stay buried.








As most people that follow me know that YA Paranormal is my favorite, but from time-to-time, I like to step out of my comfort zone and give other genres a try and boy am I glad I did with this story.

I had the privilege to be able to sit down with this author and talk with him at Once Upon A Book Author Signing 2017. I have a real fascination with meeting new to me authors and learning about their style of writing and the genres they write in. This story drew me in and piqued my interest so much that I just HAD to read it. 

THE BOOK AND MY THOUGHTS

This book was absolutely incredible. It took me a couple of days to process what I read and get my thoughts together to put this review together without giving anything important away. A lot went on in this story and it kept me entertained and turning pages from beginning to end.

The characters were phenomenal. I loved the main character, Martin Preuss. He was an amazing character. He not only struggled with his daily demons but took on the demons of the others in the cases that he ended up working with. This character is such a strong willed, get things done kind of character and I just completely fell for him. I felt a connection with this character and the things he went through. I also really loved Martin's son, Toby. Toby was such an awesome character to read too. I found myself smiling and laughing out loud at times as I continued to read this story and these two magnificent characters.

The story-line was unforgettable. The author did a fantastic job of bringing forth mystery, suspense, crime fighting, and feelers into this story. The details that this author went into just blew me away. I felt as if I had a movie playing inside my head as I kept reading. It was so easy to be able to follow this character all around Michigan too with all the details. The ending was a complete shocker too. I had my suspicions but they were completely wrong by the time the story ended.

I really don't read many mystery/suspense novels, but this author has gained a new follower and I highly recommend this story.


No comments:

Post a Comment

OUAB 2023 Finale

  Welcome to Black Words-White Pages!! My name is Jenny Zimmerman and I am going to share with you everything that happened last weekend Jul...